Service

Syracuse University Senate

In September 2016, I was elected by the School of Design faculty to serve as a Senator for a 2 year term representing the Visual and Performing Arts College. The Senate meetings are held in Maxwell Auditorium. The chart below, published by the daily orange, provides an overview of the faculty representation.

Besides participating in the meetings and learning about the pressing issues at the university level, I was able to contribute to the body of work of the Honorary Degrees Committee, chaired by Prof. Chris Day. The Honorary Degrees committee is supporting the Chancellor in that it recommends candidates for honorary degrees.

Regarding Service at the University Level, I further supported the community by contributing to the Entrepreneurship Ecosystem Big Idea Committee and helped judging the ACC Innovation competition held at the Whitman School of Management in 2016 & 2017.

College Level Service

At the College Level, I supported the following events:

• VPA National Portfolio Day
  • Assessment Workshop October 14, 2016
  • Convocation 2016 – 2019
  • OSP Workshop Series
Department/School of Design Level Service

Most of my current service time is allotted to IID Curriculum Development and activities related to the professional organization IDSA.

We are currently working on redesigning the curriculum, which is tremendously important to ensure the future of this prestigious design program. I will share the work once the curriculum is confirmed by all instances.

SUIDSA Student Club Advisor
As an active member of the Industrial Designers Society of America – IDSA –  www.idsa.org, I am interested in supporting the up and coming young designers in valuing this professional organization. I am supporting the SU IDSA student club and organize the SU IDSA Student Merit Award.

Since January 2020, I have taken on the role as IDSA CNY Vice Chair. The coronavirus pandemic challenges event ideas. But I do enjoy helping out as an invited judge, for example at the 2020 Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) IDSA Student Merit Award or the 2020 UC DAAP ID Senior Show.

Reaching out to alumni to support our students is very important. There is so much to learn from active design porfessionals. A unique opportunity was the ID Class Of 75/76/77 Reunion Event Planning and Execution. Three of the four founders of smart design attended this event and met with students for portfolio reviews and design conversations.

Field Trips

I am a big believer in enriching the student experience by leaving the studio and exploring places. Here is a collection of places that I take my students to.

Additional record of service

Research Work Group

Technology Committee

Hiring Committee
2016: PoP Materials and Processes
2017: 2 Tenure Track Faculty Positions Industrial and Interaction Design

Recruiting: Warehouse Tours for Prospective Students

Guest Lecturing in First Year Experience Seminar 2015-2016

Supporting the Freshman Challenge 2016-2019

Tenure-Track Faculty Retreat

New Curriculum Development

Leading Adjunct Faculty (IND376 2016,2017)

Middle States Assessment Reviews

Internship Liaison | Bringing in External Design Professionals

Portfolio Review NYC 2016 (Luben House), 2017 (Fisher Center)

Equipment Support: Tablets, Photo Tent, Turntable, 3D Printer, XR

Past record of service

WIT New Curriculum Development Committee Member

WIT Study Abroad Program Leader

WIT Lecture Committee Member

Specialized training

Title IX Intervention, Support, And Reporting

Active Shooter Training: Run, Hide, Fight

Degreeworks (Online Advising Tool)

Curriculog (Online Curriculum Development Tool)